Sunday, May 22, 2011

Hong Kong Day 5 (Wednesday)

Wednesday was not my best day. And you will see why as this post goes on.

Andrew and I got up and went hiking to Lion's Rock.

The view from the halfway point where all the old people had already gotten to. They are all super healthy and made it up this steep mountain in way better condition than us whities.


Halfway point. Yes, that is sweat. Yes, I am posting it on the internet. I'm looking at Kowloon below me. I was really happy to get to the halfway spot cuz there was a nice sea breeze from that point on! It was so humid and I have never sweat so much in my life--not even at band camp!


I remember seeing this and thinking, "I hope we aren't climbing to the top of that." And we did.


Andrew and me at the top of Lion's Rock. You want us. Admit it.

That's the Temple from above!

I'm enjoying the view--mostly the wind.

After we cleaned up from the hike, we met up with the po pos (grandmas) and went to meet Brother Chan and his family for lunch.

We went for dim sum. Here, Andrew and Brother Chan chose what to order.

Lily and the lovely Sister Chan. Lily had way too much fun taking pictures of us on the phone.


From left to right: Josie, Lily, Amelia, Michael, and Anne. What beautiful children!

After that, we went to the Hong Kong heritage museum.

Each person on the staff made a person.

A lovely vase.

Part of the exhibit about Cantonese opera. Here is a link, if you want to watch some.

My favorite sign at the museum.


"My grandchildren are going to see this picture, Sarah!"

Then we met up with Sister Choi and Brother and Sister Lo for dinner. They took us to several things around Sai Kong.

Such as a World War II memorial. Being a historian, and one of U.S. WWII history, I was interested in Hong Kong's experience during the war.

Japan attacked Hong Kong (a British colony) on December 8, 1941 (pretty much the same time as the attack on Pearl Harbor). The colonial leadership surrendered on Christmas, and the Japanese brutally controlled the area for the duration of the war. Many people fled or were forced to leave for the mainland (see Source). Andrew said that Japanese soldiers kicked down doors and burst into people's homes and mowed the people down, so even today, the apartments have hard core metal doors.

Yacht harbor. Going here, I began to get quite carsick.

How people scaffold in Hong Kong--bamboo lashed together and then they cling to it with their legs.

We went to three temples for the fishing goddess. This was a nice scene from one of the friezes. It was cool to see the temples. It was also really nice to get out of the car so I wouldn't throw up.


Then we headed to the restaurant.
And picked out the fish, shellfish, and squid we would eat that night. My favorite quote (remember that I was really carsick) by Sister Choi: "You don't like squid?" said as if I had just said I didn't like breathing.


The worker standing on the fish pens.

Holding a giant crab. I'm not in the area cuz that is a huge crab and it didn't really smell that good in the general area.


Us at the restaurant. I'm trying to put on a brave face, and all I wanted was some plain rice. Little did I know that since I rejected the conjee I wasn't really sick in the eyes of our hosts.


Heidi and Julie enjoying their sea food.

Andrew enjoying his seafood.


Sister and Brother Lo, Andrew, me, and Sister Choi. Thanks for taking us out! I'm sure it would have been great if I hadn't gotten carsick!

The view from a mountain. Thank goodness I fell asleep in the car or else I probably would have thrown up (so said Heidi).

1 comment:

Melanie said...

Sorry you had to climb all the way to the top of that mountain all sweaty.