Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Hong Kong Day 2 (Sunday)

Sunday was hot and humid, but we trekked to church.

The Mom and Andrew on top of the mall.

Andrew surprised everyone in the Sha Tin Ward with his presence. He hadn't told anyone he was coming and didn't really expect people to remember him. He was there for like, six months. He was very very wrong.


Here we are with Brother Chan and his family. He was Andrew's golden investigator. His wife recently was baptized and all his children had come to Hong Kong from mainland China for good--finally! They are taking lessons and the oldest two are getting baptized in a month. We came a such a great time and Andrew was so happy!

Gotta have a cheese picture in her somewhere.

That's the church building.

Then we went to the Temple of Ten Thousand Buddhas. The hill was steep, so Heidi, Julie, and Andrew take a rest.


Lots of Buddhas.

The main temple. You aren't supposed to take pictures inside, so you'll just have to live with a picture of the structure.

Now before you start thinking, "Oh how cute, what a sweet little monkey," let me tell you--MONKEYS ARE NOT SWEET OR CUTE BUT ARE TERRIFYING. We accidentally got between this monkey and its baby and it started coming towards me. I called to Andrew, and he bravely tried to scare it off. The monkey hissed at him and showed its teeth and then started getting closer to us. Andrew went one way and the girls went the other. And we girls started to run. Julie yelled, "DON'T RUN!!!!" as she ran up the stairs. That was when I remembered that it is stupid to run from a wild animal, so I turned around and it had started to chase us. It stopped when I faced it. I went up the stairs slowly, facing it. I was prepared to kick it if necessary (I'm pretty sure it could have jumped onto my face and killed me, so not sure how good the kicking would have been). But we all lived and monkeys are not cute. I used to like monkeys but now I do not.

And then we saw this sign: "Beware the monkey attack." Thanks for the late warning.


Cool interior decoration at the mall.

Andrew drinking his Hiu Lau Shan. (fruit juice/smoothies with glutinous rice balls or jelly)

Me drinking Hiu Lau Shan.

Sha Tin in the evening. That is a river, but I can't remember its name.

4 comments:

Heather said...

Yay! I love the stories so far, and can't wait to hear more! That monkey was crazy! Oh and by the way, after you brought the drum over, Caleb would not let go of it! Even to climb up the slide(which I wouldn't let him do WITH the drum), and he cried a lot when I took it away for naptime! When I gave it back after his nap, he got SO excited! Haha!

Melanie said...

Holy cow! I wish I could have heard you telling me that monkey story in person! I'm sure it would have been very loud. But yes, monkeys are crazy. They are definitely wild animals and although they can be cute, they are not meant to be pets.

The Bredthauers said...

Sounds fun :) I LOVE those tapioca/rice gluten-y smoothie drinks or whatever they are. Also, way cool about Andrew's golden investigator's family. That must have been the highlight of the trip for him.

Chase and Amy said...

Ah fun! :)