Monday, January 31, 2011

My Brother--the Yell Leader

My brother Matt is a Yell Leader (the male equivalent of a Cheerleader) for Utah Valley University. Andrew and I had the opportunity to go to a basketball game and watch Matt cheer.

Matt is the guy in the middle. He is the smallest man on the team in both height and chest size.

But he can lift cheerleaders with the rest of them.

Matt is the guy on the "V" who is whistling. I'm so proud of him for learning how to whistle.

There's Matt. He had to wear his tight black cheer uniform for this game.

Matt and another lifting a cheerleader. Matt is in the pair to the far right, only he is on the inside of that. You can see in this picture that he is the smallest man on the team. I think it is funny that some of the guys have poochy tummies. Matt is supposed to go to the gym and bulk up, but he doesn't want to, cuz then he'll have saggy man-boobs when he is old. Instead he runs. I think that is a better idea anyway.

Matt is in the middle of the picture. He is holding up a girl by one of her feet and her bottom. If anyone thinks male cheerleaders are femmy, they should take a look at this butt-grabbing action. As a side note, some male cheerleaders are way not straight. But Matt is straight. He loves girls.

Funny story: Andrew told one of his friends we were going to my brother's basketball game. Our friend, knowing that I and the rest of my family are exceedingly short, exclaimed, "Sarah has a brother who plays basketball?!" Andrew clarified, "Oh no, he's a cheerleader." Heck yes.

Good job Matt! It was fun to watch him cheer.

3 comments:

The Bredthauers said...

Way to go, Matt!

ScottBoomer said...

Matthew gets to look up girls skirts and touch their butts and they don't get mad at him? Wow what a gig.

Jennine Stalder said...

Oh wow! Your post got me reminiscing of my high school and college days. There's just too much team spirit in the pictures you posted. I can see that Matt and the whole squad gave their best in their performance. Anyway, thanks for sharing your experience on watching your brother cheer. All the best to you!

Jennine Stalder @ UE Sports