Friday, February 4, 2011

On the Subject of Babies

We have hung out with a lot of babies lately.

Andrew and Kaylee were playing computer.

It was Roller Coaster Tycoon, and you might be able to see it on the screen. Kaylee was fascinated. Her dad T-Roy is in the background.

She's very cute.

Our friends Spencer and Abby had a baby. Her name is Maggie and we went to visit.
Andrew actually held a newborn (Spencer forced him to).

Little Maggie.

Now before you go all, "Oh my gosh Sarah! Andrew will be such a good daddy! You should have a baby! Oh and I will take care of it while you finish your Master's degree! Or better yet, you should drop out of your program! Oh you would have such cute babies! And then your mom and mother-in-law could finally be grandmothers and your siblings could be aunts and uncles and even your dad and father-in-law would be happy to be grandpas!" Let me tell you a story of pathetic-ness.

Behold, my Facebook status of January 25th.

Sarah

The car is paid off!

Top of Form

  • Jessica, Melanie, Karen and 8 others like this. (The 8 others are Christina, Elise, Heather, Tasha, Rachel, Scott, JoyAnne, and Sheree.)

Ashley Isn't that the best feeling ever!?


Heidi (Mom-in-Law) Yea! Andrew's wish finally came true!


Kristy Yeah!


Sarah It is definitely a great feeling. :D Now Andrew is going to want to save for a while and then buy a truck.


Heidi ‎:) what do you get?


Sarah Probably nothing cuz I can live with less than Andrew (he's high maintenance, you know). Or maybe I'll demand a house.

· LikeUnlike · 1 person (Kathleen, aka Gma-in-Law)


Heidi Go for the house! YOur his major hobby now, keeping you happy!


Melanie (my sister) HOORAY!!! You should save up for a baby, then you and Andrew don't have to beg for a niece or nephew because you'll have your own little munchkin. :)

· LikeUnlike · 1 person (once again, Gma-in-law)


Sarah Ya, but I still have to go to school and work and Andrew might be gone in the spring, so who would take care of it?


Heidi I will!

· LikeUnlike · 1 person (Gma-in-Law again; are you noticing a trend?)


Sarah Oh man, this conversation has strayed way too far from the subject of a car.

LikeUnlike · 1 person (Thank you Christina)


Melanie Well, maybe you could save up your money now for a house. Then you could get one of the adorable puppies at the humane society for only 25 dollars!!!!


Kathleen (Gma-in-Law) remind Andrew Happy Wife, Happy life. Too so true, Your grandpa still is trying to figure out, It is what I want, not always what he thinks I want.


Christina I vote house!


Wesley (Brother-in-Law) Sarah! I second the baby... look the Mom already volunteered to take care of it...

· 1 person (Gma-in-Law again)


And this resulted in the following, very pissed-off Facebook status:

Sarah

Due to her most recent status, Sarah's sex/reproductive life will now be determined by Facebook.

Top of Form

Rebecca really? hmm thats interesting

Scott WHAT?

Becka Ok... :|

Sarah Just look at my status about paying off our car, and all will be made clear.

Michael So does that mean that we get to decide when you guys...ya' know...

Rebecca hmm makes sense now

Sarah You are the facebook users in charge of when we "ya'know", stop birth control pills, use or not use other forms of contraceptives, try to have babies, etc.

Heidi (Mom-in-Law) blame your sister and brother-in-law!

Kevin dear sarah, since your reproductive status is now part of the commons (I think Rediker would be very proud of you, btw), I would like to submit that you are a great asset to the scholarly community and that having demon children might interrupt your contributions. I vote for escuela rather than chicos :)

1 person (That would be ME)

Joe When y'all "ya know" I vote never to know.

David TMI!!!!! Your as bad as the ******** [the family from which the Mom-in-Law and Gma-in-Law are from]!!!!

Christina Hahahaha Sarah I love you! You and Andrew are my favorites.

Tasha Dear Sarah....All I keep thinking is AFJ and Juniper Take-out, wherein you described the details of AFJ. You couldn't have planned better.

Karen After that particular post, I dreamed you were pregnant, just keeping it a secret for a while.
Sorry, my dreams are so random and weird.

1 person (Heidi, The Mom-in-Law)

So now you know the story. This is the most comments I have ever gotten on a status posting. And I hope that the point got across.

When Andrew and I choose to have children is NOBODY's business but ours. Someday, we will have children. After the first status, I may get my PhD before I have kids. But we will have them. The time is not right. Let me tell you why.

I am going to school right now and it is important to me that I finish and get my MA. Andrew is going to school right now. He will be gone for the summer and I will be here. And I am not being hugely pregnant while he's gone. Then, he is going to probably start a job next Spring semester, and he won't be around to play stay-at-home-dad. Plus, if you were the new dad, would you want to miss the first few months of your child's life if you could help it? The time is not now.

So there. Leave our reproductive lives alone.

5 comments:

Melanie said...

I just took a pregnancy test. And I'm not pregnant. We can be not pregnant together. :)

Ashley said...

Oh Sarah! I love this. I know exactly how you feel. Dave and I are in the same boat. My siblings are always asking when we'll have a baby. To be fair, they're always do it jokingly, but it's still annoying. Obviously, we'd love to have children, but now is not the right time. I hate it when people from school (people that I hardly know), or couples from our ward ask us. It's like "excuse me, is that any of your business!?"

Stofam said...

AMEN!!! Unfortunately when you marry into a big family that is practically done having kids they work on the next generation! As if you dont feel the pressure enough as it is! Enjoy the time that you and Andrew have together because you never get that alone time back!! Besides, as soon as you have one kid the first question is when are you going to have another?? Its never ending! Hans considered just telling people all the particulars so they would be embarrassed and never ask again!! I almost went along with that if I had known it would work 100% of the time!! LOL. Know that we love you and can wait until you have babies!! Until then, enjoy the practice!!

Chase and Amy said...

Amen. Even though we are having a baby now, it's the right time! I got sick of people asking us too. Just wait until the time is right and you are pregnant and then you'll want to get a shirt that says "Yes, I am fine. I am not an invalid. I am due _____, It's a _____. No you can't touch my belly. Yes, I'm tired and just leave me alone!" But yes, amen. :) Thank you for putting it so bluntly.

Kayleigh said...

Si Escuela! No Chicos!

...but you probably already knew that would be my opinion on the subject. Why not wait a bit and give your kids a better environment to grow up in? I wouldn't have trusted myself with a hamster while I was in college, let alone a baby, and while you and Andrew are probably 100% more responsible than I am, there's still the money thing.

My mom gave birth to my little brother at the age of 41 (without painkillers, my mom is hardcore) and while the jury's still out on how messed up he is, I'm pretty sure none of that is her fault. You have plenty of time.

-Kayleigh