Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Do You Write?

Last night, my very sweet little sister-in-law asked if I had advice for writing papers and if I'd ever written a 3-page paper.

Oh yes. I have. You have no idea.

Yesterday I wrote one 3-page paper and was halfway through on a second 3-page paper. I'm stuck on the second one--for my Women and Gender in Art class. I can't think of a feminist critique for the Zeuxis myth. He's ancient Greek, trying to paint Helen of Troy, so uses the best features of five women to depict her. It's logical and doesn't seem as lusty as Pygmalion (he sculpts perfection and falls in love) or Apelles (falls in love with his model, Alexander the Great's favorite mistress, but love conquers all). Maybe I'm a fake feminist. I've tried to write that sort of thing as my critique, but I feel like I'm missing something. Or maybe it's that my prof asks obscure questions (like she did in our last writing assignment).

Anyway...I don't know if it has to do with the fact that all Greek female models seem to be nude models.

Of course, this morning I intended to finish up the paper--and that didn't happen. I've bummed around reading other people's blogs for an hour. I'm thinking a bubble bath would be a good idea.

I actually wanted to go to the gym this morning, but I had a hold on my student account cuz I had some fees that popped up out of nowhere. I just paid them but I doubt my account will be cleared up until later this afternoon.

Which brings me to why I can't workout this afternoon. I'm going to a lecture called "Feminism and the Bible." It should be interesting. That might redeem me as a feminist.

So simply, the answer is, yes I've written a 3-page essay. I've written a 30-page senior thesis. I've written a 25-page paper in two weeks. And because I am a fool, I will be writing a 90ish-page paper in the next year and three months.

Writing advice? Try to know what you are going to say, but if you don't know what to say, just write something. It may be crap, but that crap may help you realize what it is that you really want to say.

Case in point--this blog post.

1 comment:

Melanie said...

I'm happy that you write so much, because if I remember correctly, you love to write. :) I hope your fees clear up and you do well in your classes!