Monday, August 2, 2010

Fishing for Moose

We were in Utah for Melanie's wedding, and the day before the wedding was a "date with the river" (quote from Andrew).

We drove to the Blacksmith Fork Canyon to fly fish in the river there.

We then found a beautiful spot to fly fish, and then when we pulled into the campground near it, we found...

A bull moose eating in the river! He stole the lovely fly fishing spot.


It was fun to watch him eat for a little bit, but we decided that it wasn't a very good idea to fish near the moose. He would win if we met up with him.


We went somewhere else to fish, and Andrew caught the only fish of the day! Good job!

I still love fly fishing and regular fishing. We only have one fly pole so we took turns. We also brought a pole with a Rapala on it. It was so fun to be out on the river and to walk through the river and not get wet! I did see a big fish by my feet, but by the time I got the Rapala ready, he swan away. Bummer. I know, I know, it's a fishing story about the One That Got Away. Andrew also got 4 other bites but they, too got away. I got 2 bites. I guess they just weren't trusting fish or something.

What is it I like so much about fishing? I think it's the casting that I like. Trying to aim for a spot where the fish might be hiding is just cool. I really need to work on my aim, though. That is one of my afternoon activities while Andrew is in Washington and I am in Logan. Casting looks easy, but it is hard. I never realized there was so much technique in fishing. If I hold it one way, and flick the pole in a certain way, then the line and the lure will do one thing. I definitely need practice so I can cast to where I want to. I need to practice both normal fishing casting and fly fishing casting.

I am also pleased to announce that I am slowly conquering my fear of fish hooks.

3 comments:

The Bredthauers said...

HEY! When are we going fishing? (All we have is a normal pole...) It's about time Greg caught his first fish. (I did when I was like 4, so I think he's been missing out). -Stacy

The Bredthauers said...

P.S. I'm glad the moose didn't charge you guys.

Jennifer said...

I want to watch you fish because I like being in the outdoors, but I don't like to kill the innocent little critters.