Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Books, Books, Books

If you know anything at all about me, you know that I love books and that I love to read. Favorite Disney Princess? Belle - because she loves books and she has brown hair.

She goes to the bookshop because needed another book and slides around on that sweet ladder thing. She just loves to read. As do I.

Then she meets the Beast and it turns out that he has a huge library. Probably more books than you can read. And I am sure that it was marvelous.

I love this little thing. I think I own it. I got it at Disneyworld or Disneyland if I do own it. But look. Belle sits on books while reading books. Of course, I am not encouraging people to sit on books because that would probably hurt the binding, and I am definitely not encourage people to bring tea pots around books cuz that would definitely damage them if the tea spilled, but doesn't she look happy on the books?

Lately, I have been doing a lot of reading and I LOVE it. I am working on a research paper and I read for most of the day. the only bad thing about reading is that it makes my butt hurt, due to the fact that I broke my tailbone when I was a senior in high school.

As Hugh Nibley said (in a paraphrase): to get an education, you must read, and read everything. He said that you must start at the top floor of the university library and read until to get through the library.

Of course, I don't know if I should take his advice, as someone commented that it is obscene to know as much as Hugh Nibley. He knows so much because he read so dang much.

Now, the library at Utah State, the Merrill-Cazier Library, is not as big as the one at Berkley or BYU. But there are still tons of books. Whenever I go to find a specific book, I always pass fascinating sounding books on my way there, such as: Naked Communism (I imagine this to be about communism at its root, not about nude communists), Imprisoned Apart: the World War II Correspondence of an Issei Couple, Laboring Women: Reproduction and Gender in New World Slavery, and I can't even think of how many others I have wanted to stop and read.

But I can't. I have to work on my research project.

And going along with that, I have to read particular parts of the books I check out because only a chapter pertains to my research. It is so depressing.

For example: Missing Stories: An Oral History of Ethnic and Minority Groups in Utah. The only chapter that pertains is "Japanese Community". But look what I'm missing out on! "Ute Community," "African-American Community," "Jewish Community," "Chinese Community," "Italian Community," "Greek Community," and "Chicano-Hispano Community." And they all sound interesting to me!


The only thing that I can do to find solace in the fact that I don't have enough time to read all the things that I want to is that I will be here, in Logan, for the entire Spring Break. Woot woot. At least I can read and read and write my rough draft and then read something that doesn't pertain to my topic and read some more and then play racquetball. Hopefully. That is the plan at least.

3 comments:

Melanie said...

I am happy that you like books so much. I checked out two books from the Logan Library today!!!

Anonymous said...

I like this post. Did you know that?

Rachel said...

Good luck on your research. I love Belle too. And books.