Friday, January 8, 2010

Hawaii - Day Five

Sorry there are so many pictures - this was my favorite day! We did my most favorite thing on this day!

What day wouldn't be complete with CK sticking his fingers up Andrew's nose?

It was Sunday, and Dave took us to Waimea Canyon Park, and it was such a beautiful place. We didn't get to go to Church but hey, we enjoyed God's creation.

A Hawaiian Christmas tree.

A canon-ball tree, they really aren't coconuts!

These are the coolest trees that look like giant fans!

Andrew and a really big leaf. The tip of the stem is on the ground! Granted, he isn't very tall, but those leaves are taller than him!

Those leaves are heart-shaped and it means that Andrew and I are in love.

Lovely lilies.

A frog.

These are sensitive/shy bushes. When you touch them...

They close up as a defense mechanism!

Sweet leaf.

Cool tree.

Lovely flowers growing out of a lava rock.
Beautiful yellow flowers.
Me in front of Waimea Falls - so stunning!



Andrew and Dave just hanging loose. No one else brought their swim suit. Fools.

But I brought mine! I love to swim! And the opportunity to swim in fresh water was too much to pass up. The water was cold (rainwater right from the top of the mountain) and fresh and it tasted to clear and good. I know you aren't supposed to drink water when you swim, but I always do. Therefore, the ocean is disgusting.

Me swimming in front of the Falls.

More swimming. I am serious, just swimming around this little pond was my absolute favorite thing that we did in Hawaii.


Andrew and I - how cute.

The water was really cold, but I've swam in colder (think mountain lakes in the Tetons).




Ready to jump in! Later I dove, but Andrew missed it. I am currently learning to dive.


Al and I walking back from the Falls.

Then we went to Waimea Bay to see the huge waves.

The lifeguards gave several warnings that you shouldn't swim unless you were an experienced ocean swimmer. We stayed on the beach.

Surfers. These waves were big. But the week before we came, the waves were 40-50 feet and they held the Eddie Aikau Surf Competition, which they only hold when the waves are 40-50 feet high. Eddie Aikau was a legendary surfer. Once he was out with some Polynesians and they got lost, and he offered to swim for help on his board, and he was never seen again. Now they have a surf competition in his memory.


Really beautiful and colorful sand.

Another tender picture of us in front of the ocean.

We ended the night playing the Wii. Sheree gave CK a broken Wii remote so he felt like he was actually playing. It was so funny!

No comments: