Monday, October 1, 2012

Pinterest Derisive Pleasures

I find pleasure in being cynical. Especially about Pinterest. It is so fun to pin millions of things but seriously, does anyone ever do the things they pin? It seems like there are always one or two people who pin 800 things each day--and they are always the same. So, here are my favorites from the same people each day without mentioning any names.

How many times do you need to pin some sort of "flatten your abs in 10 minutes a day!" pins? Or your a quick arm workout, or "do this before you get in the shower," or "3 tips to a better run" pin? Between all these quick workouts, you must be working out all day long. Or not working out at all. But go for your dreams! You can do it.

Ironically, those same people seem to be the people who pin a gazillion

Cupcakes! Decadent brownies! Cream cheese and sour cream smothered potatoes!

Who then quickly repent by pinning

Low-carb pizza crust! Healthy, make-ahead oatmeal breakfast! Ice cream without the guilt (frozen banana and Nutella)!

And oh, the lists. 8 steps to a better sacrament talk. 9 ways to being a better mom. 50 ways to show your husband you love him. 6 secrets to better skin. 14 ways to Instagram better.** You could just make these up following these steps:

4 Steps To Making a Pinterest Sensation Pin

  1. Pick a random number
  2. Pick a random subject that you may or may not be an expert in
  3. Think of that many ways to accomplish that subject
  4. Take a cute photo of your baby and put it as the pin connecting to the article

And then you have helped millions of others make pins that really aren't that helpful if you just think about that topic for about two minutes.

I laugh. And then I pin like two things each day. Most of which I will probably never make. But I will make and/or be inspired by a higher percentage of my pins because I have less pins. Maybe that was my plan.

Is it bad that I look forward to seeing the same people pin the same pins each day?

**Please note that these lists are never grammatically correct. If you begin a sentence with a number, you should spell it out. I should write a list: "Three Ways To Not Get Mocked on Pinterest".

**PS--this was Sarah, not Andrew, writing this post.

2 comments:

Ashley said...

Yes! YES YES YES!! Finally! Someone who feels the same way I do. I have a Pinterest account, but have never been able to "get into it". I just don't get the hype. I'm of the thought that if I see something that I like, I DO it. I don't need to "pin" it so I can do it three years from now. I do it NOW. I can always count on you for a laugh Sarah! Thank you. I hope you are doing well with the pregnancy! Good luck in the next few weeks.

Heather said...

Hahaha!! I love the pick a random number and then write that many things about a subject! I hope you are doing well! I've been thinking about you- we sure do miss you and wish you well when the baby comes! Audrey keeps talking about "Andrew that lives with Sarah." :)