Wednesday, October 17, 2012

One of the Last Hikes As a Childless Couple

I'm ready to get this baby out of me.

Baby Girl, we want to meet you! And I want your knees out of my internal organs.

Our friend Kaleb told us that he took his wife hiking and the next day they had a baby. It was worth a try.

limekiln_226

We went to the Lime Kiln Trail in Granite Falls. It was relatively flat so we thought it would be a good one.

A highlight was peeing in the wild. Love it (I really do, call me weird). Squatting in a blackberry patch did not get the baby out though.

limekiln_227
This is especially for my mother-in-law--I'm still wearing pre-pregnancy clothes! Well, at least my jackets.

We did not make it all the way to the Lime Kiln. We needed to go home and shower so we could make it to stake temple night. So we turned around. I think there was about a half-mile left to the Kiln.

limekiln_228
I am trying to look especially pregnant in this picture. I am especially pregnant--I was 37.5 weeks along on this hike.

On the way back to the car, we imagined what we would do if I had the baby on our hike. Imagine...

Andrew: "Hello, uh, my wife just had a baby."
Operator: "OK, tell me your address."
Andrew: "Well, we are about two miles in on the Lime Kiln Trail in Granite Falls."
Operator: "Where in Granite Falls? I didn't catch it."
Andrew: "We are hiking. Should we hike back to our car and meet the ambulance there?"
Operator: "Wait, what?"
Andrew: "Don't worry, I wrapped the baby in my shirt and a solar blanket. My wife is fine but her pants are a mess. Should I cut the cord with my knife?"

Fortunately, we did not have to call 911 because I did not have the baby on the trail.

The verdicts:

I did not have the baby because of the hike.

I still have a baby inside of me.

We may have to go on a steeper hike on Saturday.

Now go hiking, everyone!

4 comments:

Kristen said...

"My wife is fine but her pants are a mess". Hahahaha. This literally made me laugh out loud.

Melanie said...

You and Andrew crack me up. We have imaginary conversations between us and the teenage Nigel. It's quite entertaining. :) Sorry the baby isn't here yet. Those last weeks are the hardest.

Karen said...

When I was pregnant with Melissa someone said I should climb stairs at the high school football stadium. That didn't work either.

Hang in there.

Eliza said...

All I could think of half the time the last few weeks with unborn Lucy was, "Millions of women have done this before... don't be such a wuss, silly." But it didn't help much. The other half of the time, I was admiring her gymnastics skills.:)

She'll be here soon enough, and we are all excited to meet her!