Saturday, February 28, 2009

Thoughts About Teaching

On Thursday I was sitting in the library with Andrew and chatting. Actually he was venting and I was listening. He needed to vent because he hates his English class and thinks his teacher is an idiot. Now, I don't think I would go that far (I only call stupid drivers idiots), but he had some great points about the idiocy of his teacher. Now, I won't tell you what his issues are with her, but I will tell you the things that I think can help me as a future teacher. Andrew said that it made a lot of sense for teachers to teach a concept, give you a variety of examples of great use of the concept, and then have you go out and try it out. Apparently, this is how engineers think. It is also what we were talking about in my Teaching Writing class, and it was good to hear it from someone who isn't just teaching me educational theories. I can see how this applies to English and engineering, but now I'm trying to figure out how to apply it to history education. History is usually taught chronologically and sometimes topically. I guess you can teach that way with skills that historians use. Let me know what you think if you have any thoughts on the matter.

Which brings me to my next thought about teaching. My current major (History Ed) will make me a secondary teacher, in high school or junior high. Sometimes I am not quite sure if that is what I really want to do. I met with two of my professors and we ended up talking about historical things for about an hour and I got a list of about 10 book recommendations. My profs were both like, "Man, have you thought about grad school?" Yes, I have, but never really seriously about doing it soon. "Sarah is the kind of student I like to talk to. She's not here to complain, but is here to ask questions and express interest." Why complain? Profs are there to impart knowledge and they are such interesting people! "Dr. M, Sarah wrote this paper last semester about Black anti-Semitism during the Detroit race riot of 1943." "Really? That is impressive." And so on. I'm not meaning to brag, but they have planted a few thoughts in my head. I would be happy wherever I end up in my job. But, I have started thinking about timing, and I wish I could see how things would turn out, but that doesn't work. I have never thought about graduate school this seriously. I would love to be a researcher or a professor or a high school teacher. I'll figure it out. I just had to get that out.

2 comments:

Christina said...

Sarah I think you would make a great professor!!! Grad school seems like just the thing for you, what with your nerd papers and stuff. I can totally see you teaching history like Dr. McCuskey teaches English (he's the only cool prof I can compare you too). Timing would be an issue though. Does USU have a masters/doctorate program in history? Good luck figuring everything out.

As for how to teach history with a practical side like Andrew was talking about, I think there would be a lot of writing involved, like an English class; or lots of discussion of politics, economics etc of the history and the present, how they're related, what such recognition teaches us, etc. I hope that makes sense. Or maybe for each unit you could have a broad question to answer in essay form at the end of the unit, like "How is George Eliot writing a novel that is NOT silly?" (sorry my only examples are English-class related). That way the discussion is generally based on the question and helps students learn to think critically. Hope this is helpful. Memorizing dates was always the hardest for me but I have no ideas for that.

Chase and Amy said...

I know the feeling. :) It's a good thing that Heavenly Father has everything figured out, or else I would be in big trouble. I think you will do great things no matter what you decide to do. Things always happen the way they're supposed to though. Although waiting for them to happen is that hardest part, unfortunately. Good luck with everything!