Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Sarah's Graduation

I forgot to mention that within all the chilling and packing and panicking I did during the end of April, I also passed my thesis defense with flying colors! David (my adviser and boss) said it was an unusual defense because the other committee members were so positive. My defense was amazing. I got so many new ideas and was so excited to keep working and expanding my project.

Anyway, that meant I could walk at graduation!

And it began traumatically for me. My friend, Chase, had a little medal from the Humanities College, which he said they just gave to him when he picked up his cap and gown. Well I didn't get one! And I am pregnant! And I became irrationally upset about this. So I went over the the Josten's table and kindly asked if they knew where I was supposed to pick up my little medal. The guy was super RUDE and told me he didn't have time to help me. Chase was also shocked at the Josten's guy's rudeness. So then I was even more upset. Fortunately, a few minutes later, Dr. Conte showed up and gave me a medal. I was really irrationally happy that I got my medal. Moral of the story: Give pregnant women medals. They deserve it.

And then we had to wait for a long time before the procession began because of the lazy bums who didn't pick up their caps and gowns before! So the academic procession began about 45 minutes late. And I had to pee and I was really really thirsty. This was a bad day to be pregnant.

Academic Procession
At this part, all the future Masters walked from the Fieldhouse to the Spectrum while they blasted bagpipe music from the speakers around the university. First best part of the procession was the kids at the elementary school applauding us and holding signs. They were just happy to be out of class. Second best part was seeing Andrew, my parents, and Heidi (my MIL) applauding me.

Me--looking slightly like the pope giving a blessing or a Medieval Jesus with the Holy Hand Grenade--marching.

A much more attractive photo of me marching.

The future Masters entering the Spectrum. Hi family!

The Hooding
In this part of the graduation ceremony, the future Masters walk through a tunnel of professors and you line up. The professors put the hood over your head and then you walk to the stage and give them the card with your name on it. These photos were taken by David with his phone from a distance, but since he was sitting where he could actually see the hooding, these pictures are actually pretty good.

The hood going over my head. :)

Oh my gosh! Moses (the professor in the yellow) just told me how to fix my hair over the hood!!! Moses put the hood on me! (Why is this post full of religious references?)

Heading up to the stage...

"Master of Arts in History, Sarah L. B. Fassmann."

Receiving my diploma cover--thanks!

I'm so happy and my shoes are so great. 

Hi family! I got my diploma! And my cap is falling off my head.
 The Happy Graduate
Master Sarah--that's right. I'm so proud.
I'm so proud of this accomplishment! I have worked really hard over the past two years and especially hard during March and April to finish my thesis in time. I still need to finish revisions, but I am done!

And because it is awesome and I've already alluded to several religious things, don't you think I look great in my black robes of a false priesthood/academic robes?


Oh Hugh Nibley, you are so good for making everyone feel smart and stupid at the same time.

3 comments:

The Bredthauers said...

Way to go, Sarah! That's awesome - and you look great!

Ashley said...

Congratulations Sarah! That is a huge accomplishment. I concur that you look great!

Erica said...

Congrats, Sarah! My undergraduate thesis defense did not go very well (probably because I didn't work as hard as you) so that's great that it went so well.