Sunday, July 3, 2011

Wir kommen von der Bergen - Leavenworth, WA

We decided to spend our Saturday in Leavenworth. It is a little German town in the American Alps (aka the Cascades), see also Washington vs. Switzerland.


We saw a cherry stand! So we had to, of course, stop and buy some.

And they were so so good.

Don't you just want some fresh Washington cherries?


Welcome to Leavenworth! It was so festive.


Even the gas station was in German script.


The Alpen Folk playing music and yodeling! This is why I told Andrew we HAD to go. Yes, we bought the CD.




A delicious pretzel and amazingly delicious mustard. (Today was funny face day for me, FYI).


Pizza und Brats - Das ist Gut Ja? Andrew had a brat and sauerkraut--both of which he said were OK (he is really spoiled when it comes to German food) and I had a delicious hot dog (I don't like brats).


Bienenstich! This is my absolute FAVORITE German dessert, which I have loved since I first tried it at one of Andrew's family parties. It means Bee Sting Cake. It has almonds and a toffee-like thing on the top, then a light cake, some creamy filling, and more light cake. I LOVE IT SO MUCH!! And I'm so glad we bought this.


Me making a Barbara Streisand pose in front of the Hello Dolly Doll Shop.


The nutcracker store.



Andrew looking smooth and sophisticated and European in front of a painted landscape.



The human and dog drinking fountain. Humans on the upper two, and dogs at the lower one.


We really should have bought this apron for Andrew to wear. Sehr Sexy, Ja?


We went on a hike near Leavenworth, called Eight-Mile Lake. It was three miles to the first lake and one more to the second lake, so the total mileage for the round trip was eight.

The mountains.


The pretty purple wildflowers. :)



Me amongst the purple wildflowers, sticking out my tongue.


The second lake.

The first lake.


The raging river of snowmelt.


Me and this tree were the same height.


Can you see me? My shirt matches the flowers!


And we were starving so went back in to Leavenworth for a German dinner.
Andrew eating Schnitzel with noodles (spaetzla). The Brot (bread) was also very good. The Sauerkraut and Rotkohl were not very good. I'm not the biggest Sauerkraut fan but I do like Rotkohl, and it was disappointing. Andrew realized how truly truly spoiled he has been growing up as a little German boy eating delicious German food.

We then got gelato and mocked the people who just bought ice cream. They had no idea what they were missing. :D

4 comments:

Erica said...

Who knew Washington had so much German-ness??

Heather said...

Sounds fun! That dog drinking fountain is hilarious!

Melanie said...

What a fun time you are having with your husband! Fun stuff, indeed. Loved the yodelers, by the way.

Jennifer said...

Dang Internet!!! It is hard being computer illiterate. I loved the yodelers too, and it looks like you had lots of fun!