Friday, February 18, 2011

Snowshoeing in Green Canyon

Andrew went to UCUR (Utah Conference of Undergraduate Research) so I was alone in the morning. On top of that, I had no work to do at work, so I decided to just not go (I love that I don't have to come in each day, as long as my work gets done).

I decided to go snowshoeing! I went to Green Canyon--it's about a 5 minute drive from our apartment. I can't believe I haven't ever been hiking there. It isn't as big as Logan Canyon and there aren't as many trails, but it was a great place to go for a hike. I also felt safe, as it is so close to civilization there are only deer and bunnies in the canyon. No moose, wolves, or mountain lions. And, it is winter so I wasn't worried about rattlesnakes; they are the reason I never hike by myself.

Except today I did go by myself, and it was just fine. I would have loved a dog to keep me company, but someday I'll have one.

The snow was nice and fresh from our storm two nights ago. The canyon was beautiful. It was relatively warm. I had a blast!


There are beautiful rock formations in Green Canyon. I loved the way the snow stood out against the rock.



Me--yay for 8 a.m. snowshoeing fests! The gray rocky mountain in the background is a key landmark in this hike. It took me an hour to get there, and the canyon keeps on going around the bend. I'd like to finish the trail, but I had to pee when I got there, so I turned around. I didn't want to pee in front of all the cross-country skiers. And I didn't have toilet paper.


Green Canyon cave. Sweet! I didn't go over there today.

The camera ran out of batteries or I would have taken more pictures. I'm really glad that I got up and went out in this beautiful snow!

No comments: