Monday, December 7, 2009

Finals Week

Today starts finals week. That is exciting cuz finals week means no class, just studying and playing! To start my finals week out right, I slept in. :) That is because it is a whopping 17 degrees outside! What is this January weather doing here when it is only December? I don't get it. It is cool and I loved snuggling with Andrew in bed.

I have been working on a paper that is due tomorrow all morning. See, for history majors, finals week means papers are due and you don't usually have a test. Anyway, the paper is on a very interesting topic (to me). I am talking about Sikh immigrants to the US and a lot of them married Mexican women because of anti-miscegenation laws in the US in the 20th century. I'm talking about some photographs about these mixed race families. Because it is about an interesting topic, it isn't so bad to write. In fact, I'm pretty excited to keep writing!

I have two other papers to finish/write. One is a research paper about the mammy caricature and how black women had to combat that to get into the defense industries during WWII. The other is for the Arrington Mormon History lecture essay contest. I'm writing about the newspaper called "The Women's Exponent" and how it promoted suffrage among polygamist wives. I have to get that one turned in by Friday to be eligible for the contest, and if I win I could get $1000! These two papers are also very interesting.

Anyway, here are some interesting websites about my paper topics if you are interested in learning more:

http://www.ferris.edu/htmls/news/jimcrow/menu.htm
http://www.lib.berkeley.edu/SSEAL/echoes/toc.html
http://relarchive.byu.edu/mptc/descriptions/womans_exponent.html

No comments: