Monday, January 12, 2009

Othello so far...

In my Shakespeare class we are reading Othello. First of all, this is the class I am the most worried about because Shakespeare has always been really hard for me. Second of all, I have to lug around the complete works of Shakespeare every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Third of all, I have to read it out loud, which probably drives my sweet fiance crazy as he does his engineering.

BUT prayers are answered. I prayed to understand what in the heck Shakespeare is saying and I am understanding it even more. Today in class, I made a comment about Desdemona's mini speech about her loyalty going from her father to her husband, Othello. My prof said, "Yes!" Which made me feel brilliant. I talked about how Shakespeare is showing woman who is clever and asserts her independence while telling two men that about her allegiance to them. You may not be impressed, but I was. You all should pray because Heavenly Father is listening.

Some of the help may have come from watching Othello. Getting the plot is really going to help me understand what is going on in the "subtleties of Shakespeare's language," and I quote Dr. Shifrer. I enjoyed the movie. Oh tragedy. Andrew watched it with me, which I think he did mainly just to cuddle with me. I'm not complaining. At the end, he was all like, "Why would anyone want to watch that?" It was depressing. Iago is a twisted, manipulating stink head. I am amazed at how often Othello calls him "honest Iago", when the audience all know that he isn't honest at all! And how I felt about Othello was interesting. He had been played out by Iago, but he smothered his wife! She really wasn't cheating on him. I wanted to yell at Lawrence Fishburne: "SHE ISN'T CHEATING ON YOU!!" But you can't yell through screens to the actors. That would be very Willie Wonka-esque.

Anyway, here is a cool picture I found of the post-Desdemona murder. I always love paintings. This is by Alexandre Marie-Colin, whoever that is. I'm also amazed by how often Shakespeare has been represented in paintings. I mean, there are tons of Ophelia (Hamlet) paintings.

No comments: