Tuesday, November 4, 2008

I can vote!

Today is the presidential election, and I am glad that tomorrow all the campaigning will be over. I feel obligated to fulfill my civic duty to vote, even though I feel pretty neutral about both candidates. I voted last Thursday and the best thing about that was that I got a sticker! So whoever wins the presidency, good luck. I sure wouldn't want your job.

But, elections are more important than just choosing the next president. Elections are historical! Duh. And I love history, but women such as myself have only been voting since the 19th Amendment in 1920. I am glad that I can vote, even though I don't care who wins the presidency.

In 1872, Susan B. Anthony voted in the presidential election. She cast a vote for Ulysses S. Grant. She did this arguing that she already had the right to vote as an American citizen. She was arrested and went to trial. The judge told the jury to declare her guilty, and then said she either had to go to jail or pay a fine. She refused to do either, and she was not forced to serve jail time or pay the fine. The judge didn't force her so that she couldn't appeal to a higher court, and hopefully, for Anthony, getting up to the Supreme Court. Even though she didn't make any national changes, Anthony's vote reflects that America has denied the vote to various minorities.

So, I'm glad that I voted. Thanks to the 20th Amendment allowing women to vote and the 26th Amendment lowering the voter age to 18, I can vote in this year's presidential election.

1 comment:

Sri Lanka Guardian said...

Hi Sarah, We are from Sri Lanka Guardian, online journal based in Sri Lanka. I has read your recent post in this blog. I would be happy if you can write feature for our web site too. Please contact us slglanka@gmail.com
even you can visit the site
www.srilankaguardian.org

Thanks
SLG