Friday, July 18, 2008

Lunch with the Accounting Department

So, my Dad is an accountant, and as much as I like my Dad, I always thought that the accounting department was supposed to be boring and stressful. I guess this still may be true, but because it is so extremely so, the accountants who make up the accounting department have to be extra crazy. And, since I know my Dad, I can attest to this truth. But now I know (at least in one way) that my Dad is not some freak accountant, and that spending an hour with the accounting department can be rather entertaining.

I'd never had Greek food. I will blame my inability to be a connoisseur of cultural cuisine on my family, the ever convenient place to lay blame. For example:
"Let's go out to eat tonight! Where do you want to go?" asks my Dad.
"Happy Sumo!" I suggest hopefully.
"Wendy's!!" exclaim four voices.
I try again, "I'd really like to go to Costa Vida."
"McDonald's!"
One last effort. "Olive Garden?"
"Arby's!"
Finally, we settle on Applebees. I have nothing against Applebees or Wendy's. They are both yummy places to eat. I just am saying I've never had Greek food. Or Japanese. Or Indian. Or Thai, British, African, or even Southern (as in Georgia or Louisiana or Texas). And going out to eat does not mean we go out to a fast food restaurant.

Tonya and Eric, two silly accountants here at work, were on their way to get Greek food for the accounting department, and wondered if I'd like some. I explained that yes, I would love some Greek food, but I didn't know what I wanted cuz I'd never had Greek food. And then I had to explain why I'd never had Greek food. Opa. So they said they would just get me some. And then I waited. What if my lunch time came and my food hadn't? Then what would I do? Just sit around? I would have to go out and find my own food like I had been planning on all along cuz we didn't have any leftovers from home for me to eat. And then it came. And then I ate.

"How do you eat it?" I asked, staring into my kabob, rice, and fat tortilla bread thing.
"Just dig in!" encouraged the accountants.
Silence for about ten minutes while we devoured the Greek food. The rice was yellow and definitely NOT healthy. Since I try to be aware of what I eat, I noticed that. I lifted the rice and checked out the oil on the bottom of the box that the rice had been cooked in; it was pooling in the bottom. It was delicious. I usually don't like pork, but now I like Greek pork, which I had to rip off the stick with my teeth, making me feel like a monstrous minotaur chomping on a fair young Grecian. And the fat tortilla bread thing was so yummy! It had something kind of sandy on it, but it didn't taste like sand. Greek food is good, I will most definitely get it again. And there was a salad, but those are just blah and not Greek. It reminded me that I was in America. But, it was swimming in oily Catalina dressing, so I guess it fit in with the oily yellow rice. I ate pretty much the whole box, and now, three hours later, I am still stuffed. I just can't waste food. I've been a college student for two years and I know that if you don't want to take it home, you eat it all. I felt like a pig, but probably wouldn't have been as good to eat as a Greek kabob.

Then the crazy, not-so-ravenous-anymore accountants talked, and I joined in every once in a while. Eric jokingly said that his pants were from 1987, and I didn't tell them that his pants would therefore be older than me. They talked about the clothes they wore in high school. I pretty much dressed the same then as I do now. Back in the day, there were two types of jeans: Lee's and Levi's. Weird. And then came the new Hash Pants (or something like that). What in the heck are those? I've never even heard of them! Apparently, there are two ways to get them on, first by laying on the bed and putting your knees up and sucking in your stomach and zipping, or secondly by standing and leaning over and dancing into your pants. I also learned that without lycra in your jeans, you oftentimes had to use pliers to get your pants on and off. They talked about their undefined sense of "style" in elementary, how cool their high tops were, and about haircuts. I also learned that probably the most hideous thing in one of their closets are some woven suspenders, and when they were worn, the owner thought he was hot-stuff. And I didn't really join in cuz I didn't know what to say. The youngest accountant's high school styles were in when I was in elementary. I don't remember the 80s, which they would say was very fortunate for me. :) Who knows? I don't. So that is my adventure. I had to go back to work, which was boring, but now I have some new Facebook friends from the accounting department.

What happens in the accounting department stays in accounting. At least until you invite the receptionist to eat lunch with you.

1 comment:

Pitt Family said...

Sarah, I love you. Please keep blogging.

PS. Bryan wants to know how you know what sand tastes like.