Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Running through the Summer

Did I mention that Andrew and I have become runners? It is pretty crazy.

Andrew runs with a friend about three times per week. I think they go pretty fast. He is getting better at recovery, which I can tell because he complains less in the evenings when he gets home. His hip is pretty sore, so if you are a runner and have a tip in that department, let us know. His friend is also training for a half marathon and Andrew is still doing all the runs with him. He doesn't want to do the actual half marathon though.

This is good because

I am doing the same half marathon. Which is crazy. I never thought I would say that I am training for a race longer than a 5k (3.2 miles). A half marathon is 13.1 miles. To date, my longest run has been 8.5 miles and I have a little over a month until the race. I feel pretty comfortable running 4 to 6 miles, not that it is easy, but it doesn't kill me. So I'm feeling pretty good about my training and my ability to complete the race. I am pretty slow at 11:30 min/mile and am not planning on being a competitive runner. But I can run and that is great! The race is a trail run and last week I did my first-ever trail run and it was a blast! I think I may need to invest in some trail running shoes in a few months.

Rachel is getting much better at being happy about being in the jogging stroller. She better be, as her longest run has been 6 miles in it. I generally do not do my long runs with Rachel, just my weekday runs. Rachel also likes standing and walking with assistance. Still no crawling. She seems to be getting closer to wanting to move.

Besides the health benefits of running, I am glad that I am training for the HM because it is really good to work towards a goal. I haven't really had a goal since I finished school (except having a baby, I guess) so I really feel like I am accomplishing something. Doing hard things can amaze you at what you are capable of doing!

5 comments:

Kristen said...

I have really bad hip problems when I run, but stretching on a foam roll before and after seems to really help. They're kind of expensive (as far as a piece of foam goes) but definitely worth it. You can buy them at any running store or you might try a physical therapy office (that's where I bought mine years ago). Good luck!

The Bredthauers said...

That's awesome Sarah! Keep up the good work - maybe you can be on Scott's Ragnar team next year.

Ashley said...

You are amazing. I've tried time and time again to get into a running routine. Alas, I fail every time. I HATE running. I know it's one of the best/easiest ways to get into shape though. This post was encouraging. Thank you.

Damaris said...

Love the Rachel updates - maybe one day we'll get to meet her?! Good luck on the half!

Heather said...

Way cool! Good luck on your half marathon! And just to let you know Audrey and Caleb were talking about you guys a lot last week. They miss you :) So do we!