Monday, July 9, 2012

Backpacking Fail #1: Barclay Lake

At the beginning of June, we decided to head up into the Skykomish ranger district and go backpacking! It  would be amazing! We got our food ready, packed everything up, and were ready for a good time in the mountains. Since it was my first time backpacking, we picked a short, level trail. It was about 2 miles in to the lake. And, to make things even better, it fell on free fishing day! Score!

Barclay_Lake_002
The bridge on the way to Barclay Lake

Barclay_Lake_004
Me on the bridge. I look so cool with my backpack on. Also, keep in mind how awesome and kick-butt I am! I'm like 19 weeks along on this trip.

Barclay_Lake_006
A lovely stream

Barclay_Lake_015
Me at the camp spot. Our tent is incredibly attractive, right? It fits two people who like to be cozy. Don't I look soggy? That's because it is June in Washington!

Barclay_Lake_016
Barclay Lake--it was really quite beautiful.

By this point, we have successfully packed in to the lake. So far, so good. No backpacking fail yet!

Summer2012_362
Andrew pumping the water. He was SO excited to use his new pump.

Summer2012_363
"I'm pumping the water and it is raining! Yay!"

Summer2012_370
Andrew trying to light wet wood on fire. This was a backpacking fail. We never got it to light.

Summer2012_374
Andrew looking epic at Barclay Mountain.

Summer2012_382
Throwing our rope for the bear bag. I was terrified we would meet a bear. But at least the bag was far away from our camp, so if it came to eat our food, it shouldn't eat us, too.

Summer2012_383
Summer2012_385 Time for hot chocolate because we are freezing to death!

Summer2012_388
Fishing for free. Andrew is so happy to be fishing. Backpacking fail: neither of us caught a fish.

Summer2012_389
Me fishing, but mostly doing casting practice. Whenever I've caught a fish, it has been on accident.

We were wet and cold and had nothing to do after we fished. We brought cards but our tent was too small to sit up in, so no go on the playing together agenda. And so we went to bed.

I remember trying to stretch out my leg but feeling some cold at the bottom of my sleeping bag, so I curled up into a ball.

At about 2:00 a.m., Andrew sighed and said, "My feet are wet. Are yours?"

"A little," I say. "I really have to pee." I'm pregnant and myself. I pee twice every night.

"Me too." It must have been the hot chocolate. Andrew never pees in the night.

"I have to pee bad enough to face the wild animals, but if I go outside, all this water will fall on us," I said.

"Yeah," Andrew said. "And we would be soaked."

"And my hips hurt. I have tried to not move so I don't get wet." If you touched the side of the tent, you got wet.

"This isn't a very good tent," said Andrew.

And we just laid there in our sleeping bags for about an hour. Then we talked to each other for about an hour. We were both in pain from our bladders and my hips really really hurt. We were also both cold and very wet. Then we laid there for another hour.


Summer2012_390
Andrew being miserable in the morning.

Summer2012_394
Our wet, cold toes in our sleeping bags. Tent, you were somewhat useless. Can you see the water droplets on the inside of our tent!?!?

Finally, it was 5:00 a.m. Andrew said we could get up in 15 minutes. So we did. And I peed a great pee. Andrew peed a great pee. And my hips felt so much better.


Summer2012_395
We are tired! It is 5 a.m.! Do you like Andrew's hipster hair?

Summer2012_396
Best part of the morning: our bear bag survived. We have breakfast!

Summer2012_397
You suck. We are buying a new one.

And we ate food and packed up our soaking wet gear and were out of there by 7:30 and to our car by 8:30. And since we weren't thinking clearly and it was free fishing day, we drove to Fish Lake (like two hours away) but couldn't find a place to access the lake. So then we drove for another 45 minutes to Leavenworth and bought a pretzel and bienenstisch. And then we drove forever home. We were super tired. That night was officially the worst of my life.

I couldn't believe myself when I told Andrew that I was willing to go camping again--if we had a different tent.

Backpacking fail.

5 comments:

Rachelle said...

OH NO!!! That looked cold. We went backpacking when I was about 22 weeks preggers with Cayden and I remember just carrying my pack was miserable...so I would say the fact that you were able to carry your pack and didn't have to make Andrew carry it makes it at least a part success!

Annie O Castro said...

that sounds miserable. i can't believe you're willing to go again!

Karen said...

I laughed lots while reading this. The way it was going I expected you to leave for your car when you woke up at early o'clock. You are a good sport Sarah.

The Bredthauers said...

What a crazy trip. Somehow backpacking never turns out how it's planned. Camping in the rain is one thing, but having a leaky tent is horrible! It's always an adventure though! Way to stick it out!

Kayleigh said...

Buy a tent with proper ventilation! But I imagine backpacking in the pacific northwest is pretty tricky—it's not as hardcore but you guys could always try renting a yurt.

My mom went backpacking up until 5 months, but she says she carried a very light pack for her last trip. Then I was born and got carried around in a baby pack a lot. Yay camping! Being miserable now and then adds spice to life, and nature is pretty etc.

-Kayleigh