Thursday, June 7, 2012

What Will It Be?

We are having the BIG ultrasound next Friday. Hopefully the Baby Platypus will cooperate and will show us what its sex is. Considering that Andrew and I are its parents, it would make sense that the baby would not be shy about its private parts. So we are hoping.

But since we won't know for another week, let's take a look at some old wives' tales and see what the Baby will be.


  • I'm not sure if I am carrying high or low. I don't really look pregnant right now. Just fat. It is pushing my guts out in my middle, but it is hardest at my abdomen. So I am going to say low since I know people who look like they've got a growth right below their bosoms. BOY
  • The first ultrasound at 9 weeks gave us heartbeats per minute at 180 (GIRL), the doppler listener at 13 weeks gave us 145 bpm (GIRL), and the most recent doppler at 17 weeks gave us 140 bpm (GIRL--but just barely, since it is 140+ means a girl).
  • I craved salty foods like any kind of french fry earlier in my pregnancy and now the only sweet thing I want is one chocolate each day. I could also eat popcorn all day. Since I crave salt, not sweets, the old wives say, "BOY."
  • Chinese gender predictor on the internet which looks at your age at the baby's conception (I was 23 in January or February) told me (for both months) it would be a BOY
  • A supposedly Mayan legend says that the mother's age and the year of conception factor in. I was 23 (odd) and Baby was conceived in 2012 (even), so it is a BOY
  • I have never had a lot of zits, but lately I have. We also have just moved to a more humid place. GIRL
  • I also look ravishingly beautiful despite my zits, so my mother-in-law says I am having a BOY
  • I was hardly nauseous, indicating a BOY, but my sister was sick the whole time and she had a boy, so maybe our family is backwards.
  • And a swinging pendant was totally inconclusive, since I couldn't get it to hold still and it kept going from circle to straight to circle, so that tells us nothing.
Other things to consider:
  • Andrew told me it was a girl. He may be wrong or he may be right. His dad was right with all their kids. GIRL
  • All my friends had a girl first. It would be a statistical anomaly if everyone had a girl first. What are the chances? BOY
  • I don't know which it will be. At first, I thought girl, and then a few weeks later I thought boy, and now I really don't know. I don't care either!
  • My brother Matt told me it would be a GIRL. He is a missionary and he has the spirit, so...
Basically, no one knows. Now, here are some pictures of me trying to be cool like all the other pregnant women on the internet.


Looking plumpy and hopefully soon I will look pregnant.

Sticking out my belly and arching my back so you can see how "truly" pregnant I am. This picture is definitely one that mocks all the "preggers" and "pregos" on the internet. Sorry that is you, but really, I'm not sorry.
I should have written "19 weeks!" in a cute font on the pictures, but I didn't. I'm not cute, just satirical.

Anyway, be sure you vote in the poll! Your options are boy, girl, boy manbearpig, girl manbearpig, twin surprise, and platypus. *Matt actually said girl manbearpig, so... Vote by next Friday!


6 comments:

Tasha said...

Sarah- I craved salt, had no morning sickness, the Chinese predictor said I was having a boy, I think all of the doppler measurements were above 145 for Eliza, and my initial instinct was girl as well. So with all of that, I'm going to guess that you are having a girl. Just a regular one, no manbearpig involved. :)

Ashley said...

Hahaha. Oh Sarah, you make me laugh.

"I should have written "19 weeks!" in a cute font on the pictures, but I didn't. I'm not cute, just satirical."

I love this, and your "mocking picture". I think you'll have a girl. Hopefully you'll be able to find out soon!

Rachelle said...

I vote twin surprise. After all it does run in the family!

Paige said...

What, no "Mother's Intuition"?! Well, I'm a mother, so I'm using my intuition and voted Girl.

Isn't there something in chinese medicine about which wrist has a stronger pulse? A friend/accupuncturist ran into us in a restaurant during my first pregnancy and he guessed (correctly) that it was a girl based on my pulse.

Jennifer said...

No grandmother intuition here! I voted for a platypus:)

Melanie said...

Dude, I crave salt a ton now. I'm a nutter. Also, Nigel's heart rate was always above 140, so who knows? But the one wives' tale that says when you have lots of heartburn your baby will have lots of hair? That one came true for me.