Friday, July 24, 2009

Fishing Adventures

Hello again! Today I am off to Camp Loll, a scout camp in Wyoming. We are going cuz it is my brother Matt's birthday, and I am excited. He works on the waterfront so he is way tan. I'm not excited for the swim check so that we can go sailing, cuz I hear that the lake is FREEZING! It is, afterall, in the Tetons. But I'll suck it up and do it cuz I have never been sailing and I would like to go. Andrew doesn't know what we are going to do all day (and is a little upset about it) because we aren't going fishing. Welcome to my family camping trips! He can't believe we would go out into the wilderness and not fish. Well, I can't believe that his family would go everywhere to fish! But I do like fishing. I have caught two fish. I have one picture of one of the fish, and the other hasn't been downloaded from Andrew's camera.




I caught that fish all by myself! Andrew's plan was to cast it, catch it, and I would reel it in, but I caught it all by my lonesome. Except for getting it off the hook, he did that. That one is a brown trout and I caught it in the Logan River at the start of June, right after we got back from our honeymoon.
The other fish I caught was at Tony Grove Lake, and was a rainbow trout. Once again, I caught it on accident and I finished my book! (Lake fishing means you chuck your line out and read your book for 15 minutes and then cast it again.) We ate that one, and I actually liked it! My newlywed goal of learning to like fish is working. Andrew was very pleased with how well our Lean Mean Fat Reducing Grilling Machine (aka a George Foreman Grill) worked. So that was awesome.

Speaking of fishing adventures, I named my Rapala Ralph. It is a good name for a Rapala. I can cheer it on while I am fishing cuz I know his name. This is a Rapala:

A Rapala is very cool. You wouldn't think that trout would go for them, cuz they are about 2" long, but those fish are little piggies. A Rapala immitates a wounded little fish, and so the bigger fish says, "Oh boy, an easy and big snack!" and then BAM! The fish has a hook in his mouth! It is, according to Andrew, very effective. I was fishing a few weeks ago and poor Ralph got stuck in a tree... 15 feel above the water... and Andrew couldn't get him out... and he questioned my casting skills. Yes, they suck. From how I cast, you can tell that any fish I catch is truly a miracle. Yet, I still have never seen Andrew catch a fish, but apparently he can, especially when he is fly fishing. The point of this story is that I had to get a new Rapala. Her name is Ralphanda. I think that she is one dang sexy Rapala.

If you want to get Andrew a nice present, give him some money and tell him that he must use the money to buy some Rapalas. He will be the happiest man in the world, and when he told me that, I realized how easy my gift shopping for him will be. :)

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Karen said: I busted my gut laughing at Sarah's blog.