Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Things I Never Thought I'd Say

We really like living in Washington. We had a lot of fun hiking and exploring. It is just really hard to move to a new state where you don't know how to recreate there (backpacking, fishing, etc.). And it makes me miss Utah, especially Logan where we were five minutes away from our favorite outdoor activities.

But because of this, I've said a few things I never thought I would say, and all are related to the old place or the new place.


  • "I'm watching a Bigfoot show and it makes me happy and sad."

A few weeks ago, I watched a Bigfoot TV show on youtube because they were in Cache Valley. They kept saying, "Wow, these mountains are amazing!" That was usually followed by, "This is prime Bigfoot territory." But, I kept saying back to my computer, "Yes those mountains ARE amazing!" Oh, how I miss them. Maybe we'll go for a hike at next summer's visit.


  • "Look Rachel, the grass is getting green because it's winter."
What? In Utah, winter means dead and yellow grass. But here where many places don't water the grass in the summer, the winter means rain and therefore the grass perks up and turns green.

  • "I think I would like to live in Canada."
They have a lot of winter and thus a lot of time for winter sports. Like snowshoeing or ice fishing or skiing. Things which I have not yet figured out how to do here in Washington. I guess to snowshoe or ice fish, we have to go to Eastern Washington where it gets cold. There are ski resorts here. Some Washingtonians said I should check them out. Then someone from Idaho said, "No, you're from Utah. You'd better go to Whistler in BC." And I read a blog about hiking with your kid, and this lady is Albertan, and I just love her adventures. It is so beautiful. And there is plenty of snow there.

And something that didn't surprise me that I said...

  • "I'm wearing flip flops and no jacket and it is December."
This does not surprise me because it is 40 degrees here and that is definitely flip flop weather. And in high school I scraped snow and ice off my car each morning in flip flops and no jacket. The only problem with flip flops in Washington is that my feet get really wet.


Getting used to a new place is weird. We'll figure it out.

1 comment:

Melanie said...

That is so crazy, the differences over there! Nigel is not enjoying the cold here. Neither am I. wish I was in flip flops and no jacket.