Friday, June 26, 2009

Summer Camp!

I work at a magical place called the American West Heritage Center.
"It doesn't sound that magical to me," you say.
I say, "It is, because I love history." I'm a nerd. The wonders of a living history farm are magical to me. I can milk a cow! Her name is Linda. I may just give up school and become a milkmaid. Then I can wear two silly braids, wooden shoes, and a funny hat, the way the milkmaids in my imagination do.

But, alas, I'm not a milkmaid. But, I am a Summer Camp Leader. We have historical-ish themes, and the campers are supposed to learn something, make crafts, play games, etc. Usually, they drive me CRAZY! I have new respect for elementary teachers, and it is definitely a job I wouldn't want. But the little buggers do some really funny things, and say some downright HI-larious things. The past two weeks I have had groups of 3rd and 4th graders. They are so obnoxious and really funny. It is nice cuz they don't want to make you mad, and they have a small attention span.

Here is a picture of my most recent group:

I like them, and they drive me insane. Teaching them Cat's Cradle is the best thing I ever did, cuz most of them wanted to do that. The two boys in the colored shirts just wanted to hit weeds, which was fine with me.

"Great Sarah," you say, "how is your married life?"

Fine. Just fine. Monday is our one month anniversary!! Yay! I'm bumming around waiting for the RC Willey guys to bring us our new bed. It is exciting.

1 comment:

Stofam said...

Hey Silly!! I know that we live on a lava flow but what I meant is that these guys live like only a few miles away from the center of the volcano and since it is ready to explode anytime now... I think they are crazy. Besides, Oahu is a nonactive volcano. It makes me feel a lot safer!! Congrats on the one month anniversary. One month down, eternity to go!!