Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Dash Point Half Marathon

The half marathon is over and done. It was exhausting, grueling, and not really very fun. I mean, as I've been running more, I've enjoyed it, but this was an experience for which I was not prepared. I got the miles in, I should have been able to do it. I just wasn't ready for a trail run that had some really steep parts.

IMG_0001.JPG
Sarah and I at Dash Point State Park before the race. Ready to ROCK IT!!!

IMG_0002.JPG
My loves and cheering section.

IMG_0003.JPG
Lining up in the slow wave.




At the beginning of the race--don't I look fresh and happy to be running?

_HRB8113
Running in the forest is fun! Oh actually it isn't because I just ran up a cliff! I'm a good faker.

_HRB7580
Daniel running the race (he's Andrew's running buddy).

_HRB8056
My friends Sarah and Melissa running. Looking good!

IMG_0008.JPG
At the aid station--HALFWAY DONE!!!


Now I'm kind of running--don't judge, I'm super pooped.

_HRB8905
This is at about mile 8 and I was dying.

By the end of the race, I was ready to cry.

But I persevered and FINISHED.
IMG_0013.JPG

None of us (me, Sarah, or Daniel) did as well as we had expected to had it been a road race. Daniel was expecting 1:45 and ran it in 2:45, I'm not sure what Sarah expected but she finished in 3:15, and I expected 2:45 and finished at 3:30.

Daniel's wisdom about the race: "Your first trail run should not be a half marathon, and your first half marathon shouldn't be a trail run."

Although I had ran on trails a few times, none of my long runs were on the trails. Moral of the story: train in the race's conditions.

Even though I was dying, I feel like I paced myself really well. My snail pace was consistent and I finished. And, I can say that I ran a half marathon.

Now, to find a good Redemption Race.

4 comments:

Michaelene Munro said...

well I think it is awesome that you did it! Sorry it was difficult. So Kaylee is watching me read this, when she pointed to your picture and said something I couldn't understand very well. I then said "yep that's Sarah." and Kaylee says "I like her too!" It was cute

Aubrey said...

Good job Sarah! Now a half marathon on the road will feel so much easier :)

Rachel Warner said...

oh my goodness! You are awesome Sarah, that is an amazing accomplishment :)

Sarah said...

So...what are we going to run?! The Mud & Chocolate is SOLD OUT! AHHHH Or do you want to do another half? I'm not really interested in anything over a 10K...ha ha Let me know if you want to find one! Or maybe you already have a plan...