Thursday, September 17, 2009

I Shouldn't Be Blogging...

I really shouldn't be blogging, but I want to, and I don't want to do my homework. I have to write a paper about this book:It is about labor in California, detailing the Mission period, the Rancho period, and the Americano period (cession-era).

And I have to revise/make awesome a paper about this book:
It is about white photographers and how they photographed Chinatown in the late 19th and early 20th century. It also talks a little bit about how the Chinatownspeople portrayed themselves through art.This painting is by a Chinatown artist named Yun Gee. I like his art, so I thought I'd share it with you. The book had a few color pictures and Gee's were featured there.

The book also talked about the Forbidden City, a nightclub in San Francisco.

What the book talks about is how the expectation that whites held for the Chinese gave Chinese performers opportunities to play up their race, or pretend to be white entertainers (Frank Sinatra, Fred Estaire, etc). So you have this exotic Oriental nightclub that makes for an exciting chapter in a book.

The worst part about the paper is that it is a book review. For some reason, that sounds harder than a plain old paper. Now that I have blogged about it, my critical juices are almost flowing, so now I shall work on my papers.

Why do I want to graduate school? That means a ton of reading and a whole lot of writing. I am just a nerd and I actually really do like doing this sort of stuff.

No comments: